Star Citizen / Squadron 42 / EDGE Foundation Asia Fleet

Everything you want to know and discuss about PC games!

Star Citizen / Squadron 42 / EDGE Foundation Asia Fleet

Postby pyre » Wed May 29, 2013 1:52 pm

Asia fleet thread: EDGE Foundation

more vids @ http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpac ... ist&view=0

From Wikipedia:
Star Citizen is an upcoming space trading and combat simulator video game for the PC. It consists of persistent world massively multiplayer, single-player campaign, and customizable private server components. Players take the role of spacefaring humans in a 30th century Milky Way centred around the fictional United Empire of Earth (UEE), an analogue to the Roman Empire. A central theme of the game is citizenship (or lack thereof) in the UEE. Players are not automatically granted citizenship, rather must earn it if they desire, and in-game opportunities are influenced by it. Strong focus is placed on player interaction. The game is slated to enter alpha phase in Q4 2013.

Star Citizen is currently being developed by Chris Roberts' Cloud Imperium Games Corporation, founded in 2011. Roberts' previous works include games such as Wing Commander, Privateer and Freelancer.

Official website:
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
Last edited by pyre on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
pyre
Vampire
Progress to next rank:
81.4%

Re: Chris Robert's Star Citizen / Squadron 42 thread

Postby pyre » Wed May 29, 2013 1:52 pm

additional post for ship design details, flight suits & ship components.
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ships
Last edited by pyre on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pyre
Vampire
Progress to next rank:
81.4%

Postby pyre » Wed May 29, 2013 1:53 pm

additional post reserved for pledging and LTI details.
For LTI clarification, please see the link below the image. My recommendation, if you are interested and trust the original backer, then get the ship from the original backer. http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/l ... ification/
Last edited by pyre on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pyre
Vampire
Progress to next rank:
81.4%

Postby pyre » Wed May 29, 2013 2:01 pm

details in first post
Last edited by pyre on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pyre
Vampire
Progress to next rank:
81.4%

Postby arcana75 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:22 pm

The MMO space for space games will be tough, given EVE's dominance. If Other games sell on the PvP aspect they will find EVE especially difficult to challenge.
Happy 40th birthday to me! 7000th trophy and 130th plat - Batman Arkham Knight!
ImageImage
https://carousell.co/arcana75/
arcana75
Demon King
Progress to next rank:
2.1%

Trophies: 11
Thread Boss (2) Forum Boss (2) Post Slinger (1) Post Storm (3) And They'll Tell Two Friends (1) Pioneer (1)
2012 (1)
  arcana75
  arcana75

Postby pyre » Thu May 30, 2013 6:43 am

[yt]http://youtu.be/_cgNpyFW6Ao[/yt]
StarCitizen isn't just about a space sim, or about a company trying to bring back space sims to the PC. It's also about a company contributing to the needs of their local community.

this is actually a little excerpt from the latest Wingman's Hanger episode 22.
pyre
Vampire
Progress to next rank:
81.4%

Postby pyre » Thu May 30, 2013 5:48 pm

updated ship descriptions etc. next ship to be showcased soon will be the Origin 300i. Expect specialized models to be revealed.
pyre
Vampire
Progress to next rank:
81.4%

Postby pyre » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:11 am

latest Wingman's Hanger episode 23!

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPQ5vdvL8rk[/youtubehd]

and the latest Jump Point with more Connie development details is out and looks great!
pyre
Vampire
Progress to next rank:
81.4%

Postby pyre » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:46 am

pyre
Vampire
Progress to next rank:
81.4%

Postby Providence » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:25 pm

So the game will be released in the stores or an online download?
Providence
Ghoul
Progress to next rank:
15%

Postby pyre » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Providence wrote:So the game will be released in the stores or an online download?

online download is confirmed, they'll be testing it with the Alpha & Beta tests.

i doubt if it will appear in stores. it's all self published afterall.
pyre
Vampire
Progress to next rank:
81.4%

Postby Providence » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:53 pm

I see. So you need to pay and pay like a MMORPG. So this is the trend nowadays. To get a better gameplay online, you need to pay and pay endlessly.
Providence
Ghoul
Progress to next rank:
15%

Postby pyre » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Providence wrote:I see. So you need to pay and pay like a MMORPG. So this is the trend nowadays. To get a better gameplay online, you need to pay and pay endlessly.

i have no idea where u get that idea from in my earlier answer.
pyre
Vampire
Progress to next rank:
81.4%

Postby Providence » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:19 pm

I meant that every game is bought from the online store nowadays. And it always comes with gimmicks that require to pay extra to get better gameplay from the game. Example: Unique and powerful weapons - Purchase online. How I wish a game can be bought from the shelf like last time and can play the whole game without paying more for additional stuff that can be vital to the gameplay.
Providence
Ghoul
Progress to next rank:
15%

Postby pyre » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:18 am

Providence wrote:I meant that every game is bought from the online store nowadays. And it always comes with gimmicks that require to pay extra to get better gameplay from the game. Example: Unique and powerful weapons - Purchase online. How I wish a game can be bought from the shelf like last time and can play the whole game without paying more for additional stuff that can be vital to the gameplay.

i think this topic should be covered in a separate thread. i will answer your post above once more, but let's move the discussion to a new thread can? i think you raise a good point but this thread is more focused on SC & S42 stuff and hope not to derail it further.

ok there's 2 points in your post.
1. game is not available in retail or physical stores and is only available online.
2. paying for additional stuff that is not important to gameplay. (note that this is different from pay-to-win and pay-to-play)
do we agree on the 2 points above? ok let's move on abit.

#1. it is the way the VG industry has been moving towards for the last 5+ years. overheads, economics, convenience, technology improvements, etc are all factors to the rise for purchasing of gaming content from online sources. and this is not only just on the PC alone, but the consoles, hand-held gaming devices and even your smart phone if you own one.

#2. there is a significant difference in supporting a crowd-funded game vs paying for in-game items/skills. you can chose not to support CIG (Cloud Imperium Games) and that's fine. you can still purchase the game later when it is launched. for those of us who believe CIG needs support in creating the game, we're backing them with our wallets. and in return, they distinguish backers via in-game mechanisms like LTI (life-time-insurance) on ships they purchase now. or unique logos etc - granted it is fluff - but it is usually the hardcore supporters or fans who would be interested in backing these games in the first place, so CIG and most devs would usually offer some way to acknowledge these backers in-game. they won't offer skills or equipment that can be too uber or break game mechanics. it would imbalance the game at launch and would cause the game to fail completely.

more importantly, backers do have a say in the development of the game. there have been polls on various ship designs, some have even corrected the CIG team on their design work etc. and they welcome the support of the backers and engage closely with everyone interested in the game. and this is a phenomenon that is happening in many crowd-funded games. just google or check some of the prominent kickstarter programs and observe.

now don't confuse backing a crowd-funded game with day-0 DLC. it is different because for day-0 DLCs, the gaming content has been developed - and is usually a carrot to buyers or those interested in the game, to pay for a higher priced version of the game (usually limited or collector's edition etc). sometimes the content is actually on the disc and requires only a code to unlock it. crowd-funded games are different, we are offering money to support the developers create their dream game, and they don't need day-0 carrots to do it.

hope that answers your post above.
pyre
Vampire
Progress to next rank:
81.4%

Next

Return to PC (Windows, Mac, Linux)